Skip to main navigation.

Help Us Be Ready When You Are

Scheduling Your Electric Service

If you are building a new home, please include Gibson Electric Membership Corporation in your planning process so we can provide you with electric service as quickly as you need it. 

Gibson EMC requirements

  • Notify Gibson EMC 30 days before you need electricity so we can obtain underground utility clearance and complete engineering and construction work.

  • Provide your billing information: name, Social Security number, phone number, mailing address and credit information.

  • Provide location information: the 911 address and directions to the site.

  • Mark the site so we can know where the new construction will stand. 

Once Gibson EMC has been notified and provided the above information, our field engineer will visit your construction site within five working days, (so it is important the location of the new construction is marked prior to this time). Once engineering is completed, we will send you a letter setting out any construction charges and your available methods for payment.

Please note: you must supply and install conduit for the underground service wires. (Contact your local Gibson EMC member service center or click here for Underground Conduit Installation guidelines.)

State requirements

  • State law requires that a sewer permit be obtained from either the health department or your local city hall. You must present this sewer permit at Gibson EMC when purchasing your electrical permit.

  • Electrical permits may be purchased at any Gibson EMC member service center and may be purchased with cash, a check or a money order. A copy of the electrical permit should be placed in the meter base for the state deputy electrical inspector.

  • You must call Tennessee One-Call (dial 811) no later than 72 hours prior to planned excavation so that all underground utilities can be located and marked. Tennessee One- Call notifications for excavation performed by Gibson EMC will be handled by our employees.

  • A state deputy electrical inspector will conduct an electrical inspection after the wiring has been roughed in (before insulation and wall covering) and when the wiring has been completed and all panel covers and face covers have been installed.

When your wiring has been completed:

  • Call Gibson EMC to schedule an inspection by a state deputy electrical inspector.

  • Gibson EMC will schedule your meter to be set after the final electrical inspection has passed and arrangements have been made for payment of charges.

  • If your inspection does not pass, you are required by law to purchase another permit for re-inspection.

Please contact any Gibson EMC member service center if you have questions or need additional information.


Powered by Touchstone Energy Cooperatives Logo
Monthly Issues of The Tennessee Magazine Kentucky Living Articles Visit the Together We Save Website